There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Are Mushrooms Bad for Dogs?

edible mushroomsThey said mushrooms can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death of your beloved pet. Actually there is no exact answer if all mushrooms have bad effect to dogs. I read a lot of forums and articles but pet owners have different point of view about this matter. However we need to be aware to the fact that poisonous and edible mushrooms are hard to distinguish. If there is a mushrooms growing in your backyard or garden be very careful to your pet. Dogs who like to graze will sometimes eat wild mushrooms along with lawn grasses, leading to mushroom poisoning. Dogs can sometimes become ill by just licking a poisonous mushroom.

If you see your dog eats poisonous mushrooms immediately remove it from your dog’s mouth. Induce vomiting by giving a Syrup of Ipecac (1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight), or giving a Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (1 tablespoon every 10 minutes, repeat 3 times). And call your vet or one that is a doggie ER open on weekends just to be safe.

mushroomsIf you suspect that your dog has eaten a dangerous mushroom, contact your veterinarian immediately. Sometimes symptoms can pop up as late as several days after ingestion. Watch your dog carefully for any signs of lethargy or shock (pale gums, dry mouth or excessive drooling, vomiting, shivering, confusion, weakness, rapid heart rate). Take special care to see that your dog is urinating properly for the next few days. If you see those symptoms then bring your dog to your vet immediately.

Most of the problems with dogs and mushrooms stem from toxic wild mushrooms. But some dogs are sensitive to other foods especially mushrooms. This little fungus can be a threat to your dog’s life because dogs are like human they can have a food allergy.

There is no adequate home care for poisonous mushroom ingestion. The best way to prevent ingestion of poisonous mushrooms is to keep your dog away from mushrooms. Periodically check your yard and remove any mushrooms, and do not allow your dog to roam unattended through the neighborhood.

1 comment:

Makesome said...

Yeah a good post, trouble is that we humans have to know which mushrooms are poisonous. I personally believe that the dogs strong sense of smell, which is far greater than humans will send out warning signals and the dog will avoid them.