There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How to Prepare Your Dog before Visiting a Dog Park?

If you are fortunate to live near the dog park and you have a dog, it is a best place for both of you to take healthy exercise and socialization. You can bring your dog at the dog park every weekend and let him play with other dogs. But before going to the park you should be prepared to make your visits safe and fun. First, know the rules of the park and follow guidance on how to use the park. Your dogs must be properly inoculated. He is license, wearing a dog collar with ID and rabies tags, and free of viral infections. Your dogs must be leashed until they are inside the fenced, off leash area.

You should recognize risks associated with interactions with other dogs and take protection to minimize these risks. The common risk is the spread of infectious disease. To avoid this kind of risk make sure all your dog vaccinations are up to date.

At Dog Park dog fight can’t be avoided and it happens sometime. To lessen this situation you need to train your dog well. Make sure your dog always comes when called and is well-behaved when interacting with other dogs, new people, and children.

When playing in the hot sun, your dog may not notice that it is getting overheated. Make sure your dog takes breaks in the shade, gets plenty of water, and does not play for long periods in the hot mid-day sun. Remember these tips when you go to a dog park for you to have a happy visit.

**This article also published in Laila Smith ArticlesBase Account here: Laila Smith - Authors Articles - ArticlesBase.com

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Antifreeze Poisoning In Dogs and Cats

Antifreeze poisoning is one of the most common forms of poisoning in small animals, and this is because it is so commonly found in households. Antifreeze poisoning typically happens when antifreeze drips from a car’s radiator, where it is licked off the ground and ingested by a pet. Your dog may also come into contact with antifreeze that has been added to a toilet bowl. This occurs in homes where the residents will use antifreeze during the cold months to "winterize" their pipes. Even if you do not take this action in your own home, it is something to be aware of when visiting other homes, or when vacationing at a winter residence.

Antifreeze products usually contain one of three active ingredients:

* Ethylene glycol
* Propylene glycol
* Methanol

Signs of Antifreeze Poisoning:

Stage One

*Staggering
*Vomiting
*Confusion/disorientation
*Listlessness
*Excessive drinking and urination

The first stage of antifreeze poisoning starts approximately thirty minutes after ingestion. Your dog will be appearing to be drunk, he may vomit, stagger and suffer from confusion and disorientation. This stage of the poisoning may last for several hours.

Stage Two

* Diarrhea
* Convulsions
* Unconsciousness

Stage two will commence after your dog will have gone through what appears to be a recovery period. He'll seem to be getting better, but shortly (possibly a day or longer) afterwards, the toxins will permanently damage his liver and kidneys as these organs try to metabolize the poison.

Diagnosis:

Dogs and cats can only be cured when the poisoning is detected before extensive kidney damage has occurred. Diagnosis is not difficult when an owner presents a pet that is staggering and drunken in appearance and has seen the animal drink the poison. It is much more difficult when the ethylene glycol first reaches the liver because early in this stage the pet will appear healthy while later in this stage symptoms are multisystem and nonspecific. We often confuse these signs with other diseases such as pancreatitis, acute gastroenteritis, diabetes or other forms of kidney disease. By the time ethylene glycol metabolites have attacked the kidneys it is too late for a cure. By this time the animal is very sick from uremia and acidic blood (acidosis). In unfortunate animals that die, it is the six-sided or Maltese-cross shaped crystals of calcium oxalate within kidney tubules that allow pathologists to make the diagnosis. Sometimes the urine of affected pets will glow when exposed to a woods or ultraviolet lamp.

Emergency First Aid

Immediate veterinary assistance is the only thing that will save your dog. Inducing vomiting and giving your dog activated charcoal will not cure your dog, but it will lessen the poison that is in his system. Save any of vomited material, and bring it with you to the vet's.

Prevention

Antifreeze poisoning can be easily avoided by following a few simple precautions:

1. Keep antifreeze containers tightly closed and stored out of the reach of pets.

2. Take care not to spill antifreeze, and if it is spilled, ensure that it is immediately and thoroughly cleaned up.

3. Dispose of used antifreeze containers properly.

4. Check the radiator of your car regularly, and repair leaks immediately.

5. Do not allow your dog to wander unattended where there is access to antifreeze (e.g., roads, gutters, garages, and driveways).

6. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has labeled propylene glycol safe and it is now used for antifreeze. Look for antifreeze with this ingredient instead, to keep your pet safer from accidental poisoning.