There was an error in this gadget

Monday, December 28, 2009

Is Broccoli Toxic for Dogs?

There’s a bit of confusion in regard to broccoli toxicity to dogs. There are plenty of other human foods that can be given to dogs that will not cause any problems and there are also foods that can harm them if they are given in a large amount of it. Actually broccoli is not bad for dogs, as with any food, the key is in the amount of food given to the pup. If the percentage of broccoli in the diet exceeds 10% it can cause gastrointestinal upsets and if it exceeds 25% it is fatal. The toxic ingredient in broccoli is isothiocyanate and it is reported to be a pretty potent gastrointestinal irritant.

Broccoli contain high amount of oxalic acid which interferes with calcium absorption. So you should only give your dog quite small quantities for it to be safe. So, if your Lab were to get into a piece of broccoli, it wouldn’t do any damage. However, if it were to get into a large bag of broccoli, then I would suggest you seek a veterinarian’s assistance immediately. It is all about monitoring the intake of any human foods even though they may give us those puppy dog eyes when we are eating one of those foods, we need to resist them in order to keep our dogs safe and healthy.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Providing Your Pet Needs

pet suppliesBeing a pet owner it is our obligation to provide all our pet needs, from its food to its toys. Giving all our pet needs is quite expensive but everything has a solution if we are eager to solve it. There are lots of options to give them what they need.

In regards to a pet supplies you can look for a discount item. You can also look for a store that offer pet product at a very affordable price. In looking for a cheaper product don’t neglect the quality of it. Mostly we get blinded of the price over the quality. Of course we want the cheaper one but always remember that quality matter most. Keep in mind that the price and the quality is always the basis in buying pet product.

In grooming your dog or cat, you can do it by yourself. You can search in the internet on how to groom your pet. There are lots of article there that gives step by step procedure of grooming your pet.

You can also make your own dog/cat food if you have a time. It is much cheaper and healthier than the commercial dog/cat food. Providing your pet with natural healthy food that contains vegetables, rice, meat and other unprocessed ingredients will give him the necessary nutrients and vitamins he needs.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Are Mushrooms Bad for Dogs?

edible mushroomsThey said mushrooms can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death of your beloved pet. Actually there is no exact answer if all mushrooms have bad effect to dogs. I read a lot of forums and articles but pet owners have different point of view about this matter. However we need to be aware to the fact that poisonous and edible mushrooms are hard to distinguish. If there is a mushrooms growing in your backyard or garden be very careful to your pet. Dogs who like to graze will sometimes eat wild mushrooms along with lawn grasses, leading to mushroom poisoning. Dogs can sometimes become ill by just licking a poisonous mushroom.

If you see your dog eats poisonous mushrooms immediately remove it from your dog’s mouth. Induce vomiting by giving a Syrup of Ipecac (1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight), or giving a Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (1 tablespoon every 10 minutes, repeat 3 times). And call your vet or one that is a doggie ER open on weekends just to be safe.

mushroomsIf you suspect that your dog has eaten a dangerous mushroom, contact your veterinarian immediately. Sometimes symptoms can pop up as late as several days after ingestion. Watch your dog carefully for any signs of lethargy or shock (pale gums, dry mouth or excessive drooling, vomiting, shivering, confusion, weakness, rapid heart rate). Take special care to see that your dog is urinating properly for the next few days. If you see those symptoms then bring your dog to your vet immediately.

Most of the problems with dogs and mushrooms stem from toxic wild mushrooms. But some dogs are sensitive to other foods especially mushrooms. This little fungus can be a threat to your dog’s life because dogs are like human they can have a food allergy.

There is no adequate home care for poisonous mushroom ingestion. The best way to prevent ingestion of poisonous mushrooms is to keep your dog away from mushrooms. Periodically check your yard and remove any mushrooms, and do not allow your dog to roam unattended through the neighborhood.